What We Know About the Car-Ramming Incident at the Liverpool Parade in England

Car-Ramming Incident at the Liverpool Parade in England

More than 60 people, including four children, were injured on Monday when a driver rammed into a crowd celebrating Liverpool F.C.’s Premier League title.

A man accused of driving into a large crowd of soccer fans in Liverpool, England, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, dangerous driving, and driving while under the influence of drugs, police said on Tuesday.

The incident, which occurred Monday evening, left more than 60 people injured, including children. Authorities have stated they are not treating the attack as an act of terrorism. In a bid to curb misinformation, police swiftly identified the suspect as a 53-year-old white British man.

The crash marred what was meant to be a joyful celebration. Hundreds of thousands had gathered on Monday—a public holiday—to mark Liverpool F.C.’s Premier League title, the highest honor in English football.

“Scenes of joy turned to utter horror and devastation,” Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Tuesday, adding, “The whole country stands with Liverpool.

What Happened?
Merseyside Police reported that they were alerted around 6 p.m. on Monday after a car drove into crowds gathered for Liverpool F.C.’s victory parade.

The incident occurred on Water Street in the city center, near the conclusion of the 10-mile parade route.

Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday afternoon, Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims explained that the parade route and surrounding streets had been closed off under a “robust traffic management plan.”

Water Street was one of the roads restricted to traffic. However, the driver of the vehicle—a dark gray Ford Galaxy minivan—is believed to have entered the area by following an ambulance that had been granted access to assist someone suffering a suspected heart attack.

Ms. Sims stated that, despite similarities to recent vehicle attacks in Europe, the incident is not being treated as an act of terrorism. “A thorough investigation into the exact circumstances is ongoing, and we urge the public not to speculate,” she said.

Footage shared on social media captured the dark gray Ford Galaxy accelerating and braking multiple times as it moved through the crowd. Moments before it came to a stop, the vehicle was seen swerving and striking pedestrians, leaving several injured on the ground. Bystanders quickly rushed to assist the victims—some of whom were trapped beneath the car—and gathered around the vehicle once it halted.

Videos showed several people attempting to stop the vehicle, with one individual managing to pry open the driver’s-side door before the man inside slammed it shut and accelerated back into the crowd.

Who Is the Suspect?
Police have identified the suspected driver as a 53-year-old white British man from Liverpool.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Detective Chief Superintendent Karen Jaundrill stated that the man had been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, dangerous driving, and driving while unfit through drugs. “He remains in custody, where he is currently being interviewed,” she said.

Merseyside Police have not publicly identified the suspect, in accordance with standard British procedure before formal charges are filed, nor have they disclosed what substance the man may have consumed.

Authorities released initial details about the suspect less than two hours after the crash, as social media began flooding with speculation and unfounded theories about the motive behind the incident.

The swift decision to share the suspect’s race and nationality appeared to be a deliberate effort to curb misinformation. Similar rumors have gained traction in the wake of previous violent events in the UK.

For example, last summer, false claims spread online after a British-born man with Rwandan heritage fatally stabbed three young girls at a dance studio in Southport, just north of Liverpool. Despite the facts, misinformation suggesting the attacker was an undocumented Muslim migrant went viral. The next day, a riot erupted in Southport, sparking further unrest in several towns and cities across England.

Who Was Injured?
According to police, 65 people were injured in the crash, with 50 of them requiring hospital treatment.

Who Was Injured?
Among the 65 people injured in the crash, 50 required hospital treatment, police said. The local ambulance service reported that four children were among the victims, including one who sustained serious injuries.

As of Tuesday afternoon, 11 people remained hospitalized, all in stable condition. “They appear to be recovering well,” said Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims.

The fire and rescue service confirmed that four people, including one child, were temporarily trapped under the vehicle. Authorities have not yet released the identities of any victims.

What Have Officials Said?
King Charles, currently on a visit to Canada, expressed his condolences in a statement on Tuesday, saying he and Queen Camilla were “deeply shocked and saddened” by the events in Liverpool.

“It is truly devastating to see that what should have been a joyous celebration for so many could end in such distressing circumstances,” he wrote. “At this heartbreaking time for the people of Liverpool, I know that the strength of community spirit for which your city is renowned will be a comfort and support to those in need.”

Prime Minister Keir Starmer echoed those sentiments, stating, “Liverpool stands together — and the whole country stands with Liverpool,” as he thanked emergency responders for their efforts.

Liam Robinson, a member of Liverpool City Council, called the incident a tragedy that had “cast a very dark shadow on what’s been a joyous day for the city.”

Billy Hogan, Chief Executive of Liverpool F.C., also issued a statement to fans, offering support to everyone affected by what he described as an “appalling incident.”

“This weekend was one of celebration, emotion, and joy shared across the city and throughout our fan base,” he said. “It ended in unimaginable scenes of distress.

globanow.com
Globa Now

Hello friends, this is our website on which trending news from all over the world is delivered to you people. Please support our website. If you want to give us any news, you can contact us through email or mobile number. Thank you.

2 thoughts on “What We Know About the Car-Ramming Incident at the Liverpool Parade in England

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *